Media, Cinema and Controversy
Ústav filmu a audiovizuální kultury
Typ akce: série přednášek zahraničního hosta
Datum a čas konání: 13. 11. 2018, 12:00–13:30 hod. a 14:00–15:30 hod.; 14. 11. 2018, 10:00–11:30 hod. a 14:00–15:30 hod.; 15. 11. 2018, 10:00–11:30 hod.
Místo konání: Brno, Arna Nováka 1, budova C, místnost C34 (kinosál)
Přednášející: prof. Daniel Biltereyst
- úterý 13. 11. 2018, 12:00–13:30 hod.: Lecture 1: Concepts and Theories. This lecture aims at introducing a few key concepts including public sphere and the media, public debate, controversy, moral and media panic, control, censorship, discipline, and surveillance. The lecture will go into a several cases of controversial new media, controversial media products or genres, and events, with cases like reality tv and the introduction of cinema as a societal danger.
- úterý 13. 11. 2018, 14:00–15:30 hod.: Lecture 2: Cinema Censorship I: USA and Hollywood pictures around the world. This lecture aims at introducing the history of the highly sophisticated control mechanisms in Hollywood, probably the most powerful center of producing mediated imagery in the world. Besides going into the history of Hollywood censorship, the lecture also aims at focusing on the different mechanisms of controlling and evading institutional control, as well as comparing some mechanisms of censorship of US films abroad.
- středa 14. 11. 2018, 10:00–11:30 hod.: Lecture 3: Cinema Censorship II: varieties of control, censorship, discipline, surveillance. This lecture aims at expanding the concept of film and cinema censorship by looking at a wide variety of other mechanisms of controlling film images, the places where movies were screened, how people watched, and other levels of control, censorship and surveillance around cinema as a societal institution.
- středa 14. 11. 2018, 14:00–15:30 hod.: Lecture 4: Researching Film and Cinema Controversy I: traditions, methods, levels. This lecture aims at going into approaches and methods of researching film and cinema controversy and control. This includes an overview of research traditions which focus on the film text (cf. representation, ideology, spectatorship) as well as traditions which aims at contextualizing controversial movies by using more contextualizing sources and traces, including those related to the movies’ societal and audience reception. A special focus will be laid on new cinema historiography which aims at defocusing the primacy of the film text.
- čtvrtek 15. 11. 2018, 10:00–11:30 hod.: Lecture 5: Researching Film and Cinema Controversy II: cases. This talk aims at going into historical cases around a few societally sensitive issues like politically controversial films, as well as the issue of exhibiting and screening sexually sensitive images with a special case study on the emergence and growth of sex cinemas.
Jazyk akce: angličtina